The Cedar Rapids Municipal Band, a professional concert band that presents 18 (sometimes more) free concerts every summer, will hold its annual auditions on Friday, 27 March, and Saturday, 28 March, in the band room at Cedar Rapids Washington High School at 2005 Forest Drive SE.
There are known openings for Flute, Clarinet, Trumpet, Trombone, and Percussion. Other instrument openings are possible, and substitute players are welcome on all instruments, particularly Saxophone and Horn this year.
A typical concert week consists of a Monday rehearsal (7:15 to 9:45), followed by concerts on the following Wednesday and Sunday (7:30 to 8:30). Some seasons include additional performances. Members are expected to commit to at least five weeks per summer. Subs are hired on a weekly basis. All musicians are paid.
We encourage all qualified musicians to apply. To sign up for an audition, please email our business manager, Scott Haney, at business AT crmuniband.org with the following information:
- Name of the person auditioning
- Musician’s email address(es)
- Musician’s phone number. Cell number is preferred so we can call you if the audition schedule changes
- Instrument on which the musician will audition
- Desired date for the audition
We strongly prefer that all auditions are scheduled by the Monday prior to the audition date. This year, that is 23 March.
Please be aware of the following:
- We are able to offer a choice of date only if time is available on both days. Once all slots are filled on a given day, only the other day is available.
- We CANNOT offer a choice of times. Slots will be filled on a given day in order, on a first-come-first-served basis. If there are extenuating circumstances, please mention them, but we may not be able to adjust to them.
- Auditions on 27 March are from 6 to 9 PM. Auditions on 28 March are from 1 to 4 PM. Auditions are about seven minutes for winds, and 14 for percussion. Winds should bring their own instruments. Percussion need to bring sticks/mallets only — we supply the percussion instruments.
Musicians will be evaluated primarily on sight-reading ability, but all are welcome to play an excerpt of one’s own choice (less than a minute) to warm up and gauge the room. This excerpt will not be consider part of the audition, however.
Please also bring along a brief resume.
Anyone who requires an auxiliary aid or service for effective communication, or a modification of policies or procedures to participate in a City program, service, or activity, should contact the Municipal Band Business Manager at 319-431-9649 or email business AT crmuniband.org as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the event