The Cedar Rapids Municipal Band, a professional concert band that presents 18 (or more!) concerts in area parks, will hold its annual auditions on Friday, 29 March, and Friday, 5 April, in the band room at Cedar Rapids Washington High School at 2205 Forest Drive SE.
There are known openings for Clarinet, Bassoon, and Horn. Other instrument openings are possible, and substitute players are welcome on all instruments, particularly Oboe, Saxophone, and Trumpet this year.
A typical concert week consists of a Monday evening rehearsal, followed by concerts on the following Wednesday and Sunday. This season, we have one additional Saturday afternoon performance.
We encourage all qualified musicians to apply. To sign up for an audition, please email Scott Haney (business AT crmuniband.org) with the following information:
- Name of the person auditioning
- Musician’s email address(es)
- Musician’s phone number.
- Instrument on which the musician will audition
- Desired date for the audition.
We strongly prefer that all auditions be scheduled by the Tuesday before the audition date (26 March and 2 April).
Please be aware of the following:
- We are able to offer a choice of date only if time is available on both days. Once all slots are filled on a given day, only the other day is available.
- We cannot offer a choice of times. Slots will be filled on a given day in order, on a first-come, first-served basis. If you have extenuating circumstances, please mention them, but we may not be able to adjust to them.
- Auditions each day will be from 6 PM to 9 PM. Audition will be around 7 minutes for winds, and 14 for percussion. Winds should bring their own instruments. Percussion should bring sticks/mallets only.
Musicians will be evaluated primarily on sight-reading ability, but all are welcome to play an excerpt of one’s own choice (less than a minute) to warm up and gauge the room. This excerpt will not be considered part of the audition, however.
Please also bring along a brief resume.
Anyone who requires an auxiliary aid or service for effective communication, or a modification of policies or procedures to participate in a City program, service, or activity, should contact the Municipal Band Business Manager at 319-431-9649 or email business AT crmuniband.org as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the event.